Sunday, November 20, 2016

Ear Infections and Big Fun

Our poor little guy has officially been sick with something since mid-October without a day of respite.  Between Hand, Foot, & Mouth Disease, two colds, and now an ear infection, this little guy is really working to build his immune system!

Snuggled up in his super soft outfit from Grandmama

On Friday, Leaha messaged me at work that he was inconsolable, and pulling at a very red and hot ear.  I called the pediatrician but they had no appointments, and suggested I go to the ER.  I had no interest in spending another 3+ hours in the ER like we did for HFMD, and the doctor at Daniel's work has been spreading the word that he is a family practitioner and eager to assist when the member's family has medical needs.  Daniel's commander passed my phone number along and Doc Thomas called me in just a few minutes!  He said to bring Xander in whenever I could.  At first, Doc Thomas suggested we wait to see if Xander was still fussy Saturday, and then start antibiotics.  Once he had looked in the ear that had been bothering little man, though, he said to go ahead and start the meds asap.  On Saturday, he started pulling at the other ear, too, so I'm afraid it's actually a double ear infection.  I am praying the seven days of antibiotics will push all the funk out of him and he'll be 100% by Thanksgiving.


Despite a sick boy, the weekend was lots of fun for the Martin adults!

On Saturday morning, I was able to participate in a Spouse's Flight and had a crazy cool experience in a plane.  I will let the pictures tell the story...


Yes, that is me sitting with my legs dangling out of an airplane over the ocean... what?!?!



Saturday evening, Leaha took on Potatoes duty and Daniel and I enjoyed delicious hibachi before going to see Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.  I love J.k. Rowling and was super excited.  It did not disappoint!  Daniel said he liked it better than Harry Potter.  I loved it, but don't know that I could go that far.



In addition to my action packed Saturday, I got to spend half of Sunday with one of my very favorite people. Shorna is spending this week at a nearby beach with one of her clients and his family (she is an in home caregiver), and she came to our house on her way!  It was simply amazing to get to hangout with her!!!  She hasn't seen Xander since he was 2 months old because she was out of town when Daniel and I last went to Atlanta.  He was a little timid at first, but Shorna has the ability to charm anyone, especially babies, and Xander was quickly soaking up her beautiful Jamaican accent.  I completely forgot to take a picture, but we are going to try to get together again before she heads home, so I WILL remember to snap a photo then!

Potatoes has been on his medicine for 36 hours now, so we both have to go back to the grind tomorrow.  Per usual, other than his sleep schedule, being sick doesn't seem to keep this little bugger down too much!

Milestones:
Potatoes is gearing up for walking despite being sick.  He stood independently for about 3 seconds while playing with Daniel just before he turned 11 months.  He also uses everything that will slide as a walker to help him get around- including his pack n play and his stand up piano.  Look out world, here he comes!

1 comment: