Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Merry Christmas!

We are thrilled to have Daniel's parents here for Christmas!

They got here late Thursday evening, and due to a late nap, we were able to keep Xander up to say hi before he and I went to sleep (I had to work Friday).
Xander's school was closed Friday so Daniel and his parents had the day together until I got off work.  Xander has entered the separation anxiety phase and is especially clingy to Daniel, but after warming up a bit, he loved showing off his new walking skills to Grandcracker and Grandmomma!

At 1am Saturday morning, Xander woke me up moaning.  This was very strange!  He felt hot, but measured in at 101, which is typically viral, so I gave him Tylenol, then he nursed and went back to sleep.  I didn't really think anything of it.  Twenty minutes later he woke up again, and for the rest of the night he was fitful and fussy, and would not settle unless laying on my chest.  At 6am, this wasn't good enough either, and only Daddy's chest would soothe him.  He was again hot, so I gave him more medicine.  He got less hot, but was obviously still a bit feverish.

Saturday, Christmas Eve, was a pitiful sight in the Martin house.  Poor little Potatoes was like I've never seen him.  He slept in Daniel's arms all day, only opening his eyes to look around occasionally, and refusing to be put down or held by anyone else, even mommy. 

At about 3pm he felt hot to the touch, and the medicine was not lowering his temperature.  He still measured at 101, but he started having a gurgly cough, so after checking with my good friend, Kim, who is a PA and mother of four (soon to be five), we headed to the ER.

Our poor baby had pneumonia on Christmas Eve!
His temperature spiked at 103 and they said x-rays were not even necessary as his breathing indicated pneumonia.  He was hooked up to antibiotics and fluids through an IV for an hour, given more antibiotics and Motrin orally, and had his nose suctioned out.  The doctor warned us that it might be necessary for us to stay overnight if he was not able to get more oxygen after the IV.
My heart was aching and I felt helpless, as Xander wanted nothing to do with anyone but daddy.  I could only sit and pray.

Thankfully, God gave our little man strength, and though he continued to struggle after the IV, the doctor said we could take him home if we felt comfortable monitoring him and pushing fluids, and that he would be working all day on Christmas, should we need to return.

Two years in a row Potatoes had us worried we would spend Christmas in the hospital (last year, we were worried he would be born on Christmas), but alas, we have gotten to be home!

Since that ordeal, little man is not 100% but continues to get better, with a bit of his appetite returning and most of his energy.  He is once again go, go, go until he crashes to sleep.

We are having a wonderful time with Grandcracker and Grandmomma, and had a beautiful Christmas!
Look at how sharp he looks in his three piece suit from Grandcracker!


 












I haven't done as well with taking pictures this week, because I've been so preoccupied with our little man's health, but now that he is on the up and up, I will get back at it!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad Daniel's parents were able to spend Christmas with you all!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete