Saturday, September 19, 2020

Pure Fun in Pure Michigan

 

Michigan had the sentiment I have been holding onto during this crazy year.

After years of talking about making it to Michigan while my mom and Jan were at Honcho Rest campground, we finally made it out!

I couldn't believe it, but both boys were AMAZING on the flight.  Nikolai wiggled and danced the entire time, but stayed quiet until falling asleep for the last hour.  Alexander was so patient as his brother crawled on him, took his snacks and toys, and pushed buttons on the tablet.  I had at least ten passengers stop by our aisle to say what well behaved boys I had!  The grandmothers in the row beside us also commented on how I seemed to have an endless stream of new snacks and activities to keep them busy.  I was beeming!



We landed in Grand Rapids at 10:30pm and still had nearly 3 hours in the car to the campground, so we got a hotel for the night.  Bigger than the car ride, my reason for wanting to spend the night in Grand Rapids was to see my dear friend Julie.
I love this lady so, so much!
The last time we saw each other was when I was pregnant with Alexander in Japan.  It has been five years and three baby boys!

Julie brought wine and cheese to the hotel and stayed up way late with us.  Heidi flew in at the same time I did and Jan drove to meet us.  It was a party!

The next day we enjoyed gorgeous weather and better company at Julie's parents house.  This has always been family to me, since the first time I met Pat in Pensacola, just two days after her first grandbaby, Kayla, was born.

Scott and Niko bonded on our walk to the lake


The boys have requested one of these swings.  We don't have a tree fit for it, so I guess we will just have to make it a habit of getting up to visit the Mulders!

Pat put together a fabulous picnic lunch and we all were able to stretch our legs and breathe the fresh air before our crew loaded the car to head to Elk Rapids.

Gammie arrived at the campground shortly before we did and had lots of toys and clothes for the boys.  The jackets she brought for the boys were very handy in the cool Michigan weather.



Craig arrived later that night, and Alexander immediately attached himself.  He had been really missing Daniel, so having Uncle Craig around was a great way to take his mind off of missing his daddy.

He loved helping with the campfire and toasting marshmallows


On Sunday, one of my first Fort Walton Beach friends, Kendra, drove down from the Upper Peninsula to spend the day with us.  We saw each other 6 years ago in Michigan, but I haven't seen her daughter, Kenzie, since she was younger than Niko.
The kids bonded quickly, and my heart was truly overflowing from seeing so many people I care so much about.











Lake Michigan was truly incredible

We had so much fun on the playground.  Niko was so good about playing independently while I hunted eggs and played tag with Alexander, until Jan yelled, "The baby!!!"
I rushed over as I turned to see Nikolai on top of the play structure.  He mastered the ladder and soon after, he figured out how to go down the slide on his own!  We spent the rest of the trip spotting Niko as he went up, down, up, down.  It was a great energy burner!


Not a Florida boy, Niko's first beach experience was at a lake.  So different from Alexander's first year!





Being in a camper with two young boys had its trying moments, especially with Nikolai crawling and grabbing at everything in the small space, but Alexander has matured so much since our last trip.  I was so impressed with him and also so grateful for all the help my family, and our new best friend, Eddie, provided!






We loved Michigan and can't wait to go back next year!








No comments:

Post a Comment