Monday, May 28, 2018

Happy Trails!

This picture sums up the level of success I had trying to maintain control over toddler antics...


After her first retirement and eleven years, my mom has retired again!  This time, it's the real deal.
My mom spent eleven years at Holy Trinity Parish Preschool.
It became her family.  The board celebrated my mom's vivacious personality.  While this seems a given, as my mama is one of the most creative, forward thinking people I have been blessed to meet, this has not always been the case, neither professionally nor personally.  My mom is bigger than life, and lots of people can find that overwhelming.
Not HTPPS!


While my mom accomplished a lot at HTPPS, her biggest contribution has to be the garden.  With the slogan, "Children Grow HERE," the school built a massive garden and incorporated an extensive gardening curriculum.

Alexander and I were excited to drive up for the party held in Gammie's honor.

While I was embarrassed by Potatoes's antics during the party, luckily everyone there has a solid understanding of crazy toddler life, so I don't think we bothered anyone.

He ran around the party, yelling, "Where's my Gammie?!  Where's my Gammie?!"
He insisted on being in pictures with her.

When the priest was offering a beautiful description of all that my mom has done for the school, Potatoes kept yelling, "They're talking about me! They're talking about me!"

He insisted that the cake be cut.

I was very happy when Uncle Craig and Aunt Heidi arrived!  Not only did they bring him a CAT dump truck, he was also thrilled to see someone else he knew and immediately attached himself to them, giving Gammie a chance to mingle with all her guests.



This gave me a chance to see lots of people I haven't seen for a long time.

Bev, who was there the day I was born, came and we got to catch up quite a bit!  My mom's friend, Sallie, who worked with her at Pinckneyville (her first retirement)
 surprised my mom by coming!  I also got to see Beth, Richard and Sara.  Sara was my student when I taught pre-k at HTPPS.  She is a gorgeous teenager now!
I got to see most of the Hyde crew as well, including meeting Natola's new baby, and seeing Nimron and Tasanya for the first time in years.  The Hydes make gorgeous kiddos!

As a final gift, the school built Kay's Corner in the garden!
It is a beautiful corner, made perfectly for my mom to come back and share her fabulous storytelling skills.  The toadstools were the perfect touch.
Even Zoey is captivated by Gammie's stories!


We had a blast at the retirement party.  We then headed home for a few days for a couple work appointments and to try to get back in routine.  After a few days at home, the whole Martin crew loaded up and headed back to Atlanta.
I'll post about that soon!
We love you, Gammie!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment