Saturday, December 19, 2015

Happy Birth Day, Alexander!



 We are a family of four!

On Tuesday, I had my 39 week appointment to check the status of our little bear.  The midwife was concerned that he was measuring so big (estimated to be 9lbs 5oz), and felt that, being he had dropped three weeks ago and I had dilated and effaced, it would be best to induce.  Daniel and I were hoping to avoid induction, so the midwife set up a meeting with the doctor who was working the labor and delivery ward for the evening to discuss risks and benefits of inducing and waiting.

After talking with the doctor, Daniel and I agreed that it would be safest for little bear and myself if we had help in getting labor started.  First, my membranes were stripped at the appointment, then we agreed to the lowest dose of pitocin possible.  We went home to get clean, grab a few more things, love on our first born four-legged and then grab food on our way to the hospital.

Our last meal before becoming parents!  Grabbing some Taco Bell.

Warning: This is long and has details of delivery (nothing crazy, but just a heads up).

When we arrived at the hospital, at around 4:30pm, I had already dilated another centimeter since the appointment!  The nurse, Mary Jane (she was truly amazing), said that based on the current standings, it was unlikely they would give me any pitocin and would instead just watch to see how things progressed on their own.  I then went over my birth plan with at least three people, making it known both on my written plan and through verbal communication that, though I did not want pitocin or any IV pain relief, I did want an epidural as soon as possible.  Mary Jane let me know that the doctor expected things to move along on their own, but to assume it would be a long night, and therefore we were waiting on the epidural.  I met with the anesthesiologist and was briefed on exactly how the epidural would be administered.  Everyone was extremely informative and friendly.

I was having extremely uncomfortable contractions, but they were not overly regular or of heightened intensity, so for a while, Daniel and I were just trying to make ourselves comfortable.  Daniel brought our Bose speaker and played DJ, getting positive comments on his music selection and sound system from everyone that came in the room.  I am sure it was a nice change from television and stressed out mommies-to-be!

I don't know exactly what time things started getting real, but once they started, they did not stop.  I moved from 5cm to 6cm and the contractions got far more intense, about two minutes apart. They were so uncomfortable that I finally asked for the nonnarcotic IV because the epidural was still not approved.  Mary Jane let me know that the doctor expected to get things started around 2am.  Ha!

Between me asking for the IV and the IV being set up, my water broke.  We called Mary Jane, and when she came in, she found that our baby's heart rate had dropped dramatically.  She called in the team, and all of a sudden, my room was packed and everyone was working furiously to get little bear back to a healthy level.  It turns out that as my water broke, he moved uncommonly quickly towards the birth canal and went into distress.

Because of baby's status, I was not able to get the IV.  They needed his heart to be up and stable for 10-15 minutes before I could receive any pain relief.  They put me on my left side and gave me an oxygen mask to assist in this.  The next ten minutes were TERRIBLE.  It was straight out of Hollywood.  The contractions were insane and I was shaking and wanting to punch and kick and crawl out of my skin.  The easier ones were the contractions where my body would just shake uncontrollably all over (Mary Jane said this was due to the intense level of hormones).   Daniel was amazing!  He brought my focus on him and helped me to focus on what I needed to do for the safety of our child.  It helped, but I can't say I did as well as I would have liked.  The pain was unimaginable.  And then, my body wanted to push.  I hit the nurse's call button twice in about 30 seconds (realized the next day it was NOT the call button...whoops!) and no one came.  Daniel said, "I'm going to get someone."

As Daniel opened the door, Mary Jane was walking in with the IV meds (note: still no epidural...).  When she assessed the situation, she again called the team and let me know that it was time to push, and thus there would be no meds.  Wait a second, what?!

She kicked me into gear, and assertively directed the entire thing so that I did not just give up (if I'm honest, I came close!).  Daniel continued to be such a force of support, drawing my focus and holding my oxygen mask above my face when I ripped it off and refused to keep it on (it felt constricting and smelled like plastic, neither of which were ok while I dealt with the worst pain I could ever have imagined).  Mary Jane had to tell me continuously, "Don't lose it on me now!  Focus!"

Daniel thought she was lying to keep me focused when Mary Jane told me it looked like we would have a baby in two more rounds of contractions.  How could we already be at that point?

After just twelve minutes of pushing, our little man was born!

Went almost straight to get vitals taken

I had requested immediate skin to skin until an independent latch, with all meds delayed until after, as well as delayed cord cutting.   He did not cry at birth nor when they put him directly on my chest.  Members of the team began rubbing him furiously while he was with me, and I just kept asking him to cry.  The joy of hearing the first wail is unparalleled.  

The doctor (who was now in the room along with a large team of people) informed me that, due to the low heart rate, it would be best to focus on his vitals.   He was taken away from me for only a few minutes to make sure he was ok.  After seeing to my status and a quick kiss on the forehead, Daniel went over to meet his new son.  All checked out and he was quickly returned to his mama.

We are parents!!

Though the labor and delivery were traumatizing and extremely difficult, our little man could not be more perfect.  The hospital staff, with the exception of the delay and thus denial of an epidural, were truly marvelous.  I can only believe that God planned a quick and intense delivery, and knew I was strong enough to do so without subjecting our baby to any anesthesia.

Daniel, Zoey, and I are proud to introduce 

Alexander Octavius Martin
Born on December 15, 2015
10:37pm
8lbs 14oz
20.5 in

I will share how our first few days (and nights) have been going soon.  I want to make sure I have these memories down before they slip away.  I cannot believe we have already known our son for 31/2 days!!!

Zoey enjoying the sun earlier that day
(Can't have our first post as a family of four without a picture of our princess!)





1 comment:

  1. Wow what a story!!! So proud of you!! Welcome to the world Alexander, you have great parents to watch and take care of you. You are truly blessed!

    ReplyDelete