Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Zoey & Xander

I have been preparing Zoey for her coming brother for months by hanging out with my dear friend, Elena, her border collie, Paisley, and newborn son, Magnus (growing into his name more and more every time I see him!).  Zoey has always been taken by Magnus, but I still had worries that our little princess might feel displaced when she had a baby in her own home.  My heart swells as I proudly say I had nothing to worry about!
.
Family couch time

Zoey did not sleep either night while I was in the hospital.   My amazing aunt Jan stayed with her the first night and wonderful Leaha stayed with her the second night.  Zoey had become nervous to leave me the last few weeks of pregnancy, and I think my absence made her extremely concerned.  
My beautiful puppy hugging a ball by the tree

On the first full day in the hospital, Daniel came home to give Zoey attention and to bring Alexander's first blanket and hat home for her to smell.
When we came home together the next day, I walked in first and Daniel walked in holding the car seat.  My thought was, being Zoey's favorite thing in the world, if Daniel brought in the baby she would be more likely to accept him.
Zoey was more worried about me than I would have ever imagined!  It took her nearly five minutes to even acknowledge Daniel.  She wanted me and only me and could not get enough of my attention.  Sweet, sweet puppy girl!

Our sweet princess with her beloved daddy

Zoey immediately accepted Brother as a part of our family.  Here are the ways that stick out the most showing Zoey already loves her little brother:
  • She sleeps primarily in his room
  • Our first night home from the hospital, I attempted to burp Alexander after a late night feeding.  Zoey sat straight up and GROWLED AT ME- HER MAMA!  I told her it was ok, but when I did it again, she growled again and barked!!!  She did not like me hitting the baby!  She quickly figured out that mommy loves brother and won't hurt him, so all is good there.
  • My dad picked Xander up and started walking with him.  Zoey jumped up to get an eye on him, careful to keep her paws away from baby.  She then followed my dad around until he sat down on the sofa,  Once he was sitting, she smelled Brother from head to toe, finally relaxing enough to let my dad once again walk with baby,
  • She sniffs anyone new who goes to hold him to make sure they are ok (everyone except Leaha, of course!  Zoey knows Leaha is safe with Brother).
  • My mom and I went to run an errand, and when we came back, we left Xander on the living room floor in the car seat as he was asleep.  Zoey gave the car seat a thorough investigation, smelling for the way under the cover until we removed it so she could see Brother.
She is such a good sister!


Zoey asleep in the Bear Cave


Daniel had daddy time, allowing me to get dressed for a cute Christmas picture



Once again asleep in Brother's room


Favorite picture thus far!

Picture in his fox outfit

 Milestones
Our first car trip; heading home!

Xander loves car rides.  On my first driving car ride, my mom got a little worried because he had been quiet the whole time we had been driving and the whole time she sat with him while I went into the commissary.  We went so far as to pull over to make sure he was doing alright.  He was sleeping soundly!

Alexander on his two day  check in (four days old)

He passed his weigh in, having lost 10 oz, only 7% since birth
He still has jaundice, and with all the rain we are getting, I have not been able to get him into any sunshine since the appointment.  Hopefully we can battle this through the rain!

Back rash- Terrifying! 

This popped up the evening before our check up so I took a ton of pictures.  It did not bother Alexander at all, and calmed down when we did diaper only tummy time, but definitely still had mama worried.
When I showed pictures of this terrifying rash to the pediatrician, she immediately named the rash with some six syllable scientific term, and said that is totally harmless and that 50% of newborns get it.  "Maybe I should start warning new parents about this."  Yes, please!!!  
The rash has cleared up now.  

His first bath

At six days old, Alexander seemed totally content with getting his first bath!  I absolutely loved the Norwex baby set (thank you, Heather!). It made bath time quick and super soft and cozy.

Even in the hospital, Alexander was tracking sounds with his eyes. He knows mine and Daniel's voices but also explores new sounds and sights, like a rattle and the wrist puppets Grandma Jay gave us (I have to be the one wearing them for now).

We were playing with the puppets until he feel asleep

At exactly one week old (10:07pm, 12/22/15) Xander smiled for the first time. He has been practicing half smiles with the left cheek for a few days, and within moments of having a right sided half smile he gave me a full smile. 
Totes adorbs! Except he was in between screaming sessions when it happened. 
Can't wait to see my boy smile when he's truly happy! 

Mayhem
Xander has a strong set of lungs!  
Tales of Psycho Pig to come
;)

No comments:

Post a Comment